Fort Carson has a very diverse military and civilian population. Over 14,000 soldiers and about 3,000 civilians are assigned to the Mountain Post. The major units assigned to the post include the first Reserve Component/Active Component Division, a mechanized infantry brigade, a Special Forces group, an armored cavalry regiment and an area support group. Many other smaller units also call Fort Carson home. More detailed information about these units can be found on the Fort Carson Web site, http://www.carson. army.mil. In 2003, soldiers from Fort Carson were deployed around the world in support of the War on Terrorism, which includes Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, Operation Iraqi Freedom in Iraq and guarding suspected terrorists at the U.S. facility at Guantanamo, Cuba. In keeping with the honorable tradition of service to our nation, our soldiers, families and civilians continue to devote their time, their talent and more to safeguard our way of life and secure our nation’s future. To honor those who have gone before us, and especially to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, the entire Mountain Post Team is resolved to continue its mission: to train, equip and deploy soldiers anytime, anywhere, whenever our nation asks.
The BAYONET was forged in the fields of France, tempered on the frozen tundra and mountains of the Aleutians, the coral atolls and islands of the South Pacific, and then honed razor sharp in the mountains and rice paddies of Korea. The Bayonet-or the 7th Infantry Division, as it is officially known-continued to stand guard in Korea, manning our outpost line in strife-ridden Korea until 1971 when the Division was returned to U.S. soil for the first time since 1943. The Division was assigned to Fort Lewis, WA and deactivated for a brief period of time. In October 1985 the Division was resurrected as the 7th Infantry Division (Light) at its old post, Fort Ord, CA. The Lightfighters of the Bayonet Division were called to Honduras in 1988 for “Operation Golden Pheasant” and to Panama in 1989-90 for “Operation Just Cause.” In August 1993 part of the Division was reassigned to Fort Lewis, WA and subsequently deactivated in June 1994 at Fort Ord, California. The 7th Infantry Division was reactivated 4 June 1999 at Fort Carson, Colorado.
Constituted 18 July 1917 in the National Guard as headquarters, 39th Division (to be organized with troops from Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi). Organized 25 August 1917 at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana. Demobilized 23 January 1919 at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana. Reconstituted 27 May 1946 in the National Guard as Headquarters, 39th Infantry Division. Reorganized and federally recognized in part 30 September 1946 at New Orleans, Louisiana, and in part 26 August 1947 at Little Rock, Arkansas (Louisiana part hereafter separate lineage). Ordered into active federal service 24 September 1957 at Little Rock; released 24 October 1957 from active federal service and reverted to state control. Reorganized and redesignated 1 December 1967 as headquarters, 39th Infantry Brigade (Headquarters Company 39th Infantry Brigade), concurrently converted and redesignated from Headquarters and Headquarters Battery 39th Infantry Division Artillery (organized and federally recognized 22 October 1946 at Little Rock). The 39th eSB deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. HOME STATION: Little Rock
Constituted 18 July 1917 in the National Guard as headquarters, 41st Division (to be organized with troops from the western United States and the District of Columbia). Organized 18 September 1917 at Camp Greene, North Carolina. Demobilized 22 February 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey. Reorganized and federally recognized 3 January 1930 at Portland, Oregon. Inducted into federal service 16 September 1940 at Portland, Oregon. Reorganized and redesignated 17 February 1942 as Headquarters 41st Infantry Division. Inactivated 31 December 1945 in Japan. Reorganized and federally recognized in part 26 February 1947 at Portland, Oregon, and in part 8 March 1948 at Seattle, Washington (Washington part hereafter separate lineage). (Headquarters Company 41st Infantry Division [Oregon part], organized 15 May 1959 at Portland, Oregon.) Headquarters and Headquarters Company 41st Infantry Division (Oregon part), reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1968 as headquarters and Headquarters Company 41st Infantry Brigade (Headquarters Company 41st Infantry Brigade, concurrently consolidated with Headquarters and Headquarters Company 41st Infantry Brigade, and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters Company 41st Infantry Brigade). Elements of the 41st eSB deployed with the 39th eSB in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. HOME STATION: Portland
Organized and federally recognized 31 August 1918 in the Oklahoma National Guard at Edmond as Headquarters company, 2nd Infantry. Redesignated 14 October 1921 as headquarters Company, 179th Infantry, an element of the 45th Division (later redesignated as the 45th Infantry Division). Inducted into federal service 16 September 1940 at Edmond. Inactivated 21 September 1945 at Camp Bowie, Texas. Reorganized and federally recognized 10 September 1946 at Edmond. Ordered into active federal service 1 September 1950 at Edmond. (Headquarters Company 179th Infantry (NGUS), organized and federally recognized 15 September 1952 at Edmond.) Released 30 April 1954 from active federal service and reverted to state control; federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from Headquarters Company, 179th Infantry (NGUS). Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as headquarters Company, lst Battle Group, 179th Infantry. Reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1963 as Headquarters Company, lst Battalion, 179th Infantry. The 45th eSB deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. HOME STATION: Oklahoma City
The 3rd Brigade was constituted 19 November 1917 in the Regular Army as Headquarters, 8th Infantry Brigade, an element of the 4th Infantry Division. It was organized in December 1917 at Camp Greene, NC. The Brigade has been reorganized and redesignated several times over the years. Finally on 15 December 1970, it was activated at Fort Carson, CO as 3rd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division. When the Division Headquarters moved to Fort Hood, TX, the Brigade was redesignated as 3rd Brigade Combat Team (BCT).
3rd BCT has received numerous campaign participation credits, including Aisne-Marne and Meuse-Argonne During World War I. During Vietnam, 3rd BDE participated in Counteroffensive, Phases II-VI, and Tet counteroffensive, to name a few. 3rd BDE has received many decorations. A few of the more prestigious decorations include the Presidential Unit Citation, Valorous Unit Award, Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, and the Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal, First Class. The 3rd BCT, 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized), or the “Iron Brigade,” is composed of two M2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle equipped infantry battalions (1-8 IN and 1-12 IN), one MlAl Abrams equipped armor battalion (1-68 AR), one M109A6 155mm Paladin equipped field artillery battalion (3-29 FA), one mechanized combat engineer battalion (4 EN), and one forward support battalion (64 FSB). In addition, the Brigade Combat Team has one Bradley Stinger Fighting Vehicle/Stinger air defense battery (C/1-44 ADA), one military intelligence company (C/104 MI), one signal company (534 SIG) to support its combat operations. The three separate companies’ parent battalions are located at Fort Hood, TX. The Brigade has been actively deploying soldiers on a variety of missions around the world. We work extensively with the 116th CAV Brigade, the National Guard unit stationed in Boise, ID. We routinely send soldiers to assist in their training and serve as observer/controllers during their annual training. We trained soldiers on techniques of fire fighting and deployed them to Washington during the summer of 1997 to assist in the rampant outbreak of forest fires. We had a highly successful NTC rotation during July 1997, and then proceeded to gear up for some exciting training at Pinon Canyon, followed by another tour to the National Training Center in the fall of 1998. 3rd BCT played a large role in the 4th Infantry Division’s Advanced Warfighting Experiment (AWE), where we were exposed to the Army’s most advanced computerized systems that allowed us to fight a digitized three dimensional battle. We deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and have been on the forefront in stabilizing and rebuilding Iraq.
The 10th Special Forces Group (10th SFG) is another brigade-sized unit assigned to Fort Carson. It is assigned to the U.S. Army’s Special Operations Command located at Fort Bragg, N.C. The group trains for and conducts combat, unconventional warfare, special reconnaissance, and foreign internal defense missions. It consists of group headquarters and support units and three subordinate battalions. One of these battalions, the 1st Battalion, is forward deployed at Panzer Kaserne, near Stuttgart, Germany. Over 1,100 soldiers are assigned to the 10th Special Forces Group at Fort Carson. Major subordinate elements of the 10th Special Forces Group include the Headquarters and Headquarters Company; the Group Support Company; the 2nd Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group; and the 3rd Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group. 10th SFG deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment (3rd ACR) is the newest unit to join the Fort Carson family. It is a combined arms unit composed of three cavalry squadrons, an aviation squadron, and a support squadron. The regiment operates independently over wide areas and is a highly mobile force that can conduct reconnaissance, security, offensive, and defensive operations. It has over 320 armored vehicles (MlAI Abrams tanks and M3A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicles) and over 80 aircraft (including the AH-64 Apache Attack Helicopter). The regiment has a total strength of over 5,200 soldiers. The 3rd ACR is part of the U.S. Army’s contingency force and can rapidly deploy in emergency situations. Major subordinate elements of the regiment include: Tiger squadron (1/3) Saber squadron (2/3) Thunder squadron (3/3) Longkinfe squadron (4/3) Muleskinner squadron (SPT/3) The 3D ACR is the largest tactical unit assigned to Fort Carson. The 3rd ACR has been an important element in stabilizing and rebuilding Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
United States Army Garrison is comprised of over 500 soldiers and nearly 3,000 civilians who make up the installation activities of Fort Carson, Colorado. Its roots can be traced back to May 15, 1942, when LTC Cornelius F. O’Keefe assumed command of Headquarters, Camp Carson, Colorado. These proud men and women whose duties cover most Combat Support and Combat Service Support military occupational specialties in the United States Army provide daily installation support to all units and activities assigned to Fort Carson. Due to the location of the U.S. Army Training Center at Fort Carson in the early 60’s, HQ Special Troops, U.S.A.G. was organized on August 28, 1961. The U.S. Army Training Center transferred to Fort Polk, Louisiana in May 1962. Today United States Army Garrison, Fort Carson, has provided a home and a base of support for nine different battle-hardened divisions. A proud heritage of honor and victory has been handed down.
The 43rd Area Support Group (43rd ASG) has been assigned to the Mountain post since March 23, 1966. It consists of a headquarters element, a military police battalion, a support battalion, a combat support hospital, an engineer battalion and several other units. There are over 2,900 soldiers assigned to the 43rd ASG, and its mission is to provide combat support and combat service support to an army corps. The 43rd ASG is currently assigned to FORSCOM. Major subordinate elements of the 43rd ASG include the 759th Military Police Battalion; the 68th Support Battalion; the 10th Combat Support Hospital; and the 52nd Engineer Battalion. Elements of the 43rd ASG deployed to support military operations during Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm in 1990-91, the operations to stabilize Somalia and Haiti, and operations in Honduras. Most recently, the 43rd ASG has deployed units to support the mission at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and supported troops in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom.